Over the last decade, RFID technology has been transforming the entertainment and leisure industry. RFID tags and cards have replaced paper tickets and have enabled cashless operations, streamlining the experience of visiting a Family Entertainment Center or Arcade. Similarly, RFID readers have evolved as well — from simple two-line LED display units, to full-colour LCD units, to touchscreen units that deliver a superior user experience.
Semnox continues to innovate on this front and Parafait LuminOS is its latest innovation. This flexible and highly-functional OS-based reader is set to become the flagship reader from Semnox — it is the combined result of over a decade of evolution in RFID technology and Semnox’s deep understanding of the needs of businesses in the entertainment industry.
A Technical and Functional Marvel
The USP of the Parafait LuminOS is its diverse functionality and expansion capability. This reader is as powerful as a high-end smartphone, with the ability to play videos and pull a variety of digital content from the server over-the-air.
The reader brings together a robust mix of technical and functional innovations, which, we believe, set the trend for the future. Below are some of the key technical improvements that the LuminOS offers:
- 5 GHz Support & Web Service-Based Interaction: The LuminOS has a dual-band Wi-Fi chip, supporting both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi networks. Very often, the 2.4 GHz channels are crowded because of multiple competing WiFi access points. The 5 GHz band has many more channels, allowing load distribution and ensuring seamless connectivity at all times. Additionally, the Web Service-based interaction significantly reduces the load on the server.
- Over-the-Air Updates & Media Transmission: The LuminOS is capable of getting firmware updates over-the-air, without needing to physically plug it in. Media files can also be transmitted over-the-air, changing the look and feel of the unit as needed.
The LuminOS is just as exceptional when it comes to functionality:
- 4.5 Inch Touch Screen Display: The LuminOS has a wider-than-usual touch screen, allowing guests to interact with it easily and enabling a personalized experience.
- Rich Multimedia Experience: The advanced graphics engine along with faster-than-usual processing enables a rich multimedia experience.
- Multi-Gameplay & Repeat Play: The LuminOS has complex functionalities like Multi-Gameplay — which allows guests to play a game multiple times at one go, and Repeat Play — which allows guests to play again without having to tap the card.
- Slot Functionality: Guests can choose to simply place the card in the slot and keep playing. The reader prompts for balance deduction as long as the card is in the slot.
The LuminOS reader is certified by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and adheres to the standards set by the European Economic Area (CE) as well.
“We have just scratched the surface of possibilities with the LuminOS,” says Kiran Karanki, CEO of Semnox. “Having replicated the functionality of a regular reader on an OS-based reader, we are now discussing ways in which we can go beyond the current functionality with our customers. We believe that LuminOS is the future of RFID readers.”
Despite being technically and functionally superior to standard RFID readers, the LuminOS doesn’t require any special prerequisites to be met before installation. It is perfect for indoor entertainment venues of all sizes. If you wish to learn more about the LuminOS, reach out to a Semnox representative right away — email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us now!